New here and I was told to post here for advice

Hello, last year I was sent by my college to a psychologist and she did a couple of tests on me, the psychologist diagnosed me with ADHD. I couldn't believe it because I was never diagnosed as a child and grew up in an environment where they did not believe in it. After the diagnoses I was a bit ashamed to tell my family about it or even get extra help from my college regarding my studies, I still am. Is this normal for adults?I am currently 23! Also, I really do not want to take the medications for three reasons. 1. I do not like the side effects I got from taking the basic dosage of 5mg. 2. It effects my sports training. 3 My future employers might not like it.

Furthermore recently I have not been myself ever since I left the medications, it's kind of hard to explain. Any advice for me?

1 Like

If you are in doubt you might want to get a 2nd opinion.

ADHD is not something you grow out of. Your symptoms can change over time. I learned coping mechanisms over my life time, but as I age certain things become more prominent in my behavior.

You might want to see what help would be available, why struggle needlessly?

I didn't want to put my son on a full dose, but a smaller dose was not helping him (I was afraid of long-term effects, but his behavior at school and daycare forced me to medicate). When I followed the guidelines he did much better. So you might want to try the full dose recommended to you just to see if it is helpful. You could also try different medication if you don't like the one you have tried. Definitely follow up with your provider. I would make sure that the person treating you has adequate qualifications as far as various treatments.

ADHD is a protected disability under the ADA. Any discrimination based on your ADHD or the treatment you receive for it would be illegal.

Hang in there! It gets better :)

BTW, I hope I'm not breaking any site rules with my reply, if you ask someone else they'll have another opinion I am sure. Everything I say is just my opinion, but if you are really ADHD, you are protected by the ADA, that is a fact :)

Remember that your health information is a private matter. You can consider taking medication at any time. Let your doctor know if you change your mind.

How does medication effect your sports training? Are medications strictly regulated, or do you feel different?

Nab Ahm, thinking about a new diagnosis takes time. Remember that you are no different than when you first went to the doctor. It's normal to feel uncomfortable when a doctor gives you information you didn't know about yourself. You may have noticed a change with the medicine. Get into the habit of telling your doctor about how a medication helps you or how you feel when you take it. You can be patient with yourself as you find what you are comfortable with. Good luck!

Thank you for taking the time to read and reply to this. I have been diagnosed by a professional. I am currently not taking any medications but I am addicted to caffeine pills. I am protected by ADA but I was thinking about jobs where public responsibility is involved. Jobs like police force.

HopefulMom said:

BTW, I hope I'm not breaking any site rules with my reply, if you ask someone else they'll have another opinion I am sure. Everything I say is just my opinion, but if you are really ADHD, you are protected by the ADA, that is a fact :)

I came across this old thread today, and I was wondering how you are doing now, almost two years later.

We have a new member, Adam from Michigan, who is having problems and has come to the community. He sounds really down, and is having job issues. Can you reach out to him?

Hope all is well with you

Seenie from Moderator Support

1 Like