Sensory issues

Hey everyone, it’s me- no, really:)
Lost track of everything for a while, just been overwhelmed.
I have to ask: is there anyone who carried intense sensory sensitivity into adulthood? One of my neighbors apparently bought, I don’t know wha a new electric appliance and it’s giving off a high frequency sound that only I and the resident dogs can hear. Outside, it’s so bad, my teeth start to hurt until I’ve rounded the corner but even indide my appartment it’s really starting to get to me, headache, watering eyes, hot/ cold spells.
Any ideas on how to cope? I don’t know the “what” or even “who” so, I’ll have to sit this one out…
Thanks in advance and sorry,again,for the long silence.

Welcome back, aaron!

Sound can be a real intrusion. Getting to know your neighbor is in your future… :slight_smile:

Hi Aaron~I am so glad you brought this up! I have found that it seems all of my senses are heightened. I am very uncomfortable with high pitched sounds...opera singers, microwave whistle thing. I cannot eat anything sour..almost painful and lately that's gotten worse...pickles,mustard, very sensitive taste buds Sense of touch,,,only wear cotton whenever possible & I stretch any shirt out when I put it on so it doesn't cling to my skin. One other thing...massage. I have to ask them to take it easier on my arms & legs or it just really hurts to the point of pain. I read somewhere a while back that people with ADHD could have this problem, but weren't sure. Ear plugs? that sounds very uncomfortable. Hope it goes away.

Wearing ear plugs as much as possible right now, actually helps.
And what you said about adhd’s and sensory issues is 100% true- part of my diagnostics if I have it correctly.
But it seems that, as with any other symptom, who carries what into adulthood and on what level of intensity varies a lot.
For me, sight and hearing are the worst- I’m well known for wearing sunglasses on rainy days if it gets bad. That, too, varies for me, or maybe I simply cope better on some days than on others.
Read a paper on the odd accumulation of adhd’s among former “crybabies”. They’re thinking that the sensory openness may first manifest itself this way. Sounds logical when you think it through.
Ok, fun fact right there, just not helping that much…ugh, ok, need to find me something new to do…:frowning:

I am so sorry you are having to deal with this. Unfortunately, we don't usually notice sensory issues until they are driving us crazy!

My first thought was noise cancelling headphones. We have a battery powered set that somehow eliminates all outside noise. They weren't too expensive and might help you at least while you are home. I don't know that you would want to wear them out and about unless you plug them in to your phone to make it look like you are listening to music?

Hang in there!

@kfwellman great idea, thank you. Might work better than my plugs, those can only do so much, though in comparison, it’s still a lot…

aaron, I wonder if anyone else in your location can also hear it? After protecting your own ears and peace of mind this neighbor, other neighbors or other resources in your community might be helpful in exploring a neighborly solution.
There’s a sound of coffee pouring that un-nerves me but it happens infrequently. I love coffee. It’s a particular pitch… Others I’ve asked aren’t bothered and that’s what might be tough for you, but 24/7 doesn’t give you a break, does it.

@ artfish that’s a good thought! Certainly worth exploring. I do know of a toddler who’s been “acting up” since Friday evening, but aside from that, no idea.
Hmm, I predict, there will be some interesting conversations in my future…:wink:
And, sadly, right now, I’m really going without a break. Starting to get on my nerves. But just a little…

Kfwellman, would tell us more about these and how they’re used in your family? Students can wear these in classrooms or libraries during study times - it’s great to hear how they work.

kfwellman said:

I am so sorry you are having to deal with this. Unfortunately, we don’t usually notice sensory issues until they are driving us crazy!

My first thought was noise cancelling headphones. We have a battery powered set that somehow eliminates all outside noise. They weren’t too expensive and might help you at least while you are home. I don’t know that you would want to wear them out and about unless you plug them in to your phone to make it look like you are listening to music?

Hang in there!

My 11th old is very easily distracted during homework time, so he wears them with and without music to help him stay focused. He also wears them when he is feeling overwhelmed. Taking away the intrusion of sound really helps him calm down. One of his teachers also let's him plug into an mp3 player in class that has upbeat classical on it when the classroom gets overwhelming too.

I really need these. Not just for now but future use, too, with how open my auditory system is. Why didn’t I think of that before?

that's a great idea, aaron! Are you talking about ear buds or actual ear plugs, like the ones that expand when in your ear? I listen to books a lot when working around the house, but I really like the classical music idea.~nancy

@ Nancy Right now, it’s plugs I use - the ones that will expand, not wax- but I really like the headphones idea, too.
Wasn’t mine though, wish I’d thought of that.
Alternating between silence and music depending on what you feel you need to calm down or focus at the moment ( I’d have to experiment with that in “low stimulus” ,“high stimulus” and " just too many little blips on my radar"- type situations to find out what works best in which of these). Am I making any sense this morning…? :slight_smile:

Finally noticed that there is another member with my name, capital A but still, thought I’d try to avoid future confusion- and I’m really sorry for causing some just now with the change :slight_smile:

There are people who have become so ultra sensitive to these frequencies that they have moved to areas in the country that are electronic free. Here is an area in WV, where there is a huge telescope, and it is free of cell phones, WIFI and other electronic transmissions.

http://dailynightly.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/15/18277297-no-cellphone-no-wi-fi-living-in-americas-quietest-place

Good news everyone! Found the source and fixed it though it did take the joint efforts of several people to accomplish that…:slight_smile: Bad news, I developed acute tinnitus as a result of the constant stress. Bright side, there’s a good chance it’ll disappear as I start to relax again.
Thanks for your support :)(hug)

Wow, it didn’t take long for you to take action. Congrats!

Thank you, and, once I’m up and running I’m…well, you know…:wink:

I def. Have sensory issues in adulthood. Didn’t even know I had adhd til 44. Sense of sound the worst…but it helps me in the classroom with whispering curses at me! Lol

Lol :smiley: That comes in handy. Goes to show that even the most annoying symptoms can have an up-side(really hard to find sometimes, but still…:wink: )