Medication Madness

I am a 43 year old woman and was diagnosed with ADHD inattentive type earlier this year. Being diagnosed was a wonderful time for me because I finally realized why I struggled so much with procrastination, organization, and forgetfulness. Since then, I have been researching to find methods that will help me deal with my ADHD issues.

I have also been struggling to find a medication that suits me. I have found that the amphetamine stimulants (Vyvance, Adderall, etc) work wonderfully for my ADD but I get dry mouth so bad that it causes my gums to bleed. Even the over-the-counter remedies don't help much. So, I tried the methylphenidate stimulants (Concerta, Daytrana, etc) and they just don't work as well for me. Sometimes they seem to increase my anxiety level to a point that I have trouble functioning.

So, I'm currently ADHD medication-free. I have an appointment with my therapist on Monday, and I'm not sure if there are any other options for medications. Have any of you had a hard time finding a medication that worked for you without severe side effects?

There absolutely is a great alternative that works wonders for almost all cases and has no side effects and no cost and does not require a doctor. see Feingold.org -- it is a nont for profit organization run by volunteers. My step-son was 8 (with ADHD) when I convinced my wife to put him on the elimination diet and the results was and remains astounding. The short version -- is to eliminate artificial colors, artificial preservatives, MSG and doods that are naturally loaded with salicylate (so no asprin, advil, and other NSAIDs). For some people it is a bit more complicated than that and the Feingold people can provide the details.

Artifical colors are pretty much banned in Europe.

Four major hitters for preservatives are: BHT, BHA (one is banned in Europe and the other is banned in Japan), TBHQ and Sodium Benzoate.

It takes about 6-8 weeks to detoz from these things, so be patient. For some people there is a temporary increase in symptoms while detoxing but after a few days or a week things improve.

I know this works and there is a ton of research to back it up.

I’ve been taking methylphenidate/Ritalin for several years now,10 or 15 mg 2x/day and as needed. I get anxiety with higher doses. I can get headaches too, and that I must avoid. Medication trials take such patience, I haven’t tried anything new for a long time.

I have done a great deal of medication trials and currently I am taking Biphentin,40 mg in morning, right before or after I eat breakfast. I always take any medication with a large glass of water, and never without food. I have experienced dry mouth in the past but not with this medication which I have been taking for about 4 or 5 months now. I also took Strattera, Adderall, Concerta and had dry mouth in the first few weeks but it always let up, once I adjusted to the medication.

July Alive, thanks for mentioning Biphentin. I read a post by Dr. Kenny Handelman when I googled Biphentin. It’s not being marketed in the USA “because it’s a competitive market…” It’s methylphenidate with new features. Let us know how it works for you. There would certainly be a demand for Biphentin here. I’ll try to send that link.

The Handelman link was from 2006, and in 2014 it still isn’t sold here. Nicki, USA doctors must have information about it, so let’s ask them what they know. Meanwhile, I’ll see what else I can find out. Keep us posted JulyAlive.

I envy you. I tried both Vyvanse and Adderall and, while they were much better than nothing, the side effects were horrible and the meds worked marginally at best. They were very hit-and-miss. Mostly miss.

And I was still slow and unfocused as hell. I barely got any work done while on meds. It was still probably an improvement over non-medicated me, don't get me wrong, but I was still very unproductive and very slow. Turtle-like slow.

Still, in my case, even a little improvement is a huge improvement, if you know what I mean.

It at least allowed me to fail at school with dignity. Instead of getting a zero, I got a C. I still sucked majorly at school but at least it wasn't suckage on top of suckage on top of suckage. At least I was capable of doing SOME of the assignments. Pre-meds, I wasn't able to do any of them.

Have you looked into taking Provigil or Nuvigil RX? Both/either are used off-label for ADHD. Someone very close to me could not be RX’ed Adderall, Ritalin etc. yet Nuvigil has changed his life for the better with regards to managing his ADHD!
My mom was on Strattera for a few months recently, but it was not very effective for her personally

Oh! Also, there’s a non-stimulant medication called Focalin ( name brand ) that is used for ADHD !

Focalin is a stimulant. Strattera, on the other hand, was the first non-stimulation medication approved for ADHD.

Oh! I knew Strattera; however, Focalin is not part ol’ Ritalin / Amp. group.

Focalin is a slightly different formulation of Ritalin. My daughter was prescribed Focalin at one time. Here is the FDA report noting Focalin's biochemical similarity to Ritalin:

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/DevelopmentApprovalProcess/DevelopmentResources/UCM247495.pdf

This is a really useful overall guide for ADHD medications:

http://www.addvance.com/help/parents/medication.html

You’re right, Dancermom! I mixed up Focalin with Intuniv–Focalin is Dexmethylphenidate while Intuniv is an antihpertensive type of medication used to treat ADD also. Time for my 2nd dose of meds today, haha!

ADHD – What Does the Science Say?

ADHD – What Does the Science Say?

ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) is a diagnosis that has now been “given” to more than 6.5 million American children. And if that statistic is not compelling enough, please understand that about two thirds of these children are actually receiving mind altering medications to “treat” the disorder. But there are certainly other considerations that parents should make prior to engaging these potentially health threatening medications.

In the well-respected, peer reviewed medical Journal Pediatrics, doctors J. Gordon Millichap and Michelle M. Yee, published a report entitled “The Diet Factor in Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder.” In this comprehensive review, the authors reviewed a variety of dietary issues including omega-3 fatty acids, dietary sugar, allergic considerations, iron, and zinc, and produced a very provocative report indicating, at the end of the day, that we are probably significantly missing the boat in terms of what is being done to American children with the mistaken notion that treating them with aggressive pharmaceuticals is going to help them perform and reach academic goals.

Simple ideas like iron deficiency, and zinc deficiency, and how they relate to ADHD are reviewed in the publication with an emphasis on the idea that these are simple treatable issues that can have a profound effect on the diagnosis in question. Similarly, the important role of omega-3 fatty acids is reviewed.

The authors conclude, “Supplemental diet therapy is simple, relatively inexpensive, and more acceptable to patient and parent. Public education regarding a healthy diet pattern and lifestyle to prevent or control ADHD may have greater long-term success.”

And to be sure, I am in complete agreement with their conclusion. Basically, what they have told us is that nutrition plays a role in how the brain works, and in this case specifically, nutrition plays a fundamental role in allowing children to maintain composure and vigilance and that should help them in terms of acquiring academic information.

As I have stated many times, it is, at least in my opinion, critically important to practice medicine under the dictum of primum non nocere – above all do no harm. And in this case, please recognize that this information is written in a journal that is possibly one of the most well-respected pediatric journals in the country, and likely read by most pediatricians.

It's smart to support a child nutritionally in the best way a parent knows how. I hope pediatricians screen kids with symptoms of ADHD for iron deficiency or other factors that effect behavior or the ability to remain focused in school.

The great thing about the diet recommendations in this article is that they're good for the whole family!

I also went through the same struggle with finding the right balance with my ADHD combined type diagnosis. Right now I finally found the right medication and dosage I am currently taking adderall xr 2 30 mg in the morning but I get up so early at 4 a.m. That at 3 p.m. I will take an instant release 30 milligram adderall so I can still stay focused and organized and not procrastinate and helping my kids with homework, getting them to bed etc its not an easy war to fight, but when you find the right dosage you will know right away. best of luck to you on finding the right medication to help your day to day routine. I know it has been a blessing since I found mine. It did take a while and I have tried many different stimulants (non stimulants wouldn’t work for my ADHD combined type diagnosis ). Contact me if you have any questions, I’ve was diagnosed 9 years ago and if I could help at least be there for you, I will :slight_smile:

1 Like