How did your tell your child?

How did your tell your child about their diagnosis? My son is 9 and will be going into 3rd grade. For now, he is in a public high performing school district. They use inclusion in the classroom, so there is normally a good mix of levels and kids constantly being pulled out of the room at different times. This allows for smaller class sizes, which is good. But he still struggles and his confidence is a bit low. I think knowing specifics will help, but I am not certain how to approach the subject. I am very direct with information with my children when they ask, keeping it at an age appropriate level, but don't like to hide things from them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Debbie,

Explaining to your about his condition should be honest and upfront. Kids prefer you tell them. We were always open and honest with our girls. Your a wonderful mom, and from what you write you really care about his well being and want what is best for him. Smaller class rooms should be in every school in America. Our children sometimes get shuffled and lost through the cracks. The teachers should be there to help out also, in helping him get his assignments and to make sure he understands his subjects. Remember your a wonderful Mom who loves her son.

I looked up some good references on that topic for you and hope this helps.

Thank you for this discussion. We all learn from each other and this was a great thing to discuss.

God Bless you and your son,

Abby

73-adhdparenting.shtml (95.3 KB) 74-explainingtoteensaboutadd.htm (29.2 KB) 75-howtoexplainadhdtoteens.htm (109 KB)

What a great post Debbie. Thanks!

Hello Debbie,

My son Joshua-Jesse is now 11 years old and was formally diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 8. He was born 15 1/2 weeks early so he was tested through Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy and various other tests. With the diagnosis of minor learning delays his diagnosis was not a surprise to me. The one thing I like about the school he currently attends is that they mainstream him as well. He goes to a different class as well during different times of the day but he is not the bothered by it anymore. At the moment I realized there were going to be things to overcome I decided to be very honest with my son about everything. I didn't want him to think that there was something wrong with him that would isolate him and make him feel bad. I was honest and open with him about he medication he was taking and why he was taking it. I of course used terms he would understand and now at the ripe young age of 11 he is very much aware of how he can behave in school when not on his meds. He has adjusted well and I always do my best to encourage him in everything he does. He generally is very hard on himself and does exhibit low self esteem and because I had such a difficult time as a child I didn't want him to go through it. He is a very affectionate boy anyway and give as many hugs and kisses I can.

I take a lot of time helping him with homework. One of the things that I have been doing is reassuring him that he learns differently and must use the tools available in order to understand. He has gotten to the point now that when I correct him on homework and encourage him he finishes the sentence. The fact that he is going through puberty now and maturing has added a completely new layer fun. For the most part he is growing into the ADHD and not letting it shake him. Joshua-Jesse has always been very friendly but he is starting to be very selective about the friends he makes.

My suggestion to use is to continue to be honest with him. He will understand and will develop a healthy attitude as he grows up. You are doing a good job Mom and I know you want to shield him from any hurts. I see that my honesty, faith and love has made him into the young boy he is today. Feel free to contact me anytime.

I promise you he and you will be alright.

God Bless and Take Care!

Leslie

Hugs!

Leslie Porter said:

Hello Debbie,

My son Joshua-Jesse is now 11 years old and was formally diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 8. He was born 15 1/2 weeks early so he was tested through Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy and various other tests. With the diagnosis of minor learning delays his diagnosis was not a surprise to me. The one thing I like about the school he currently attends is that they mainstream him as well. He goes to a different class as well during different times of the day but he is not the bothered by it anymore. At the moment I realized there were going to be things to overcome I decided to be very honest with my son about everything. I didn't want him to think that there was something wrong with him that would isolate him and make him feel bad. I was honest and open with him about he medication he was taking and why he was taking it. I of course used terms he would understand and now at the ripe young age of 11 he is very much aware of how he can behave in school when not on his meds. He has adjusted well and I always do my best to encourage him in everything he does. He generally is very hard on himself and does exhibit low self esteem and because I had such a difficult time as a child I didn't want him to go through it. He is a very affectionate boy anyway and give as many hugs and kisses I can.

I take a lot of time helping him with homework. One of the things that I have been doing is reassuring him that he learns differently and must use the tools available in order to understand. He has gotten to the point now that when I correct him on homework and encourage him he finishes the sentence. The fact that he is going through puberty now and maturing has added a completely new layer fun. For the most part he is growing into the ADHD and not letting it shake him. Joshua-Jesse has always been very friendly but he is starting to be very selective about the friends he makes.

My suggestion to use is to continue to be honest with him. He will understand and will develop a healthy attitude as he grows up. You are doing a good job Mom and I know you want to shield him from any hurts. I see that my honesty, faith and love has made him into the young boy he is today. Feel free to contact me anytime.

I promise you he and you will be alright.

God Bless and Take Care!

Leslie