Essential Oils & ADHD

For over a year I researched and asked questions about essential oils. I narrowed my search down to two companies. Last week my son's insurance was lapsed because someone did not submit his/my info into the system on time. Needless to say, I was extremely worried for my son & his teacher! My son was put on meds when he was 5 years old and is now 8, so going without meds really worried me.

I reached out to my social media friends asking if any one knew where I could get the essentials from one of the two companies I narrowed it down to. I got immediate responses and by Sunday evening I had some samples in my hand along with two full bottles and a defuser for my son's room. He went to school 3 days with no meds and only essential oil on the bottoms of his feet! The effect of the oils on him were good! I was thankful he made it through the day with no red cards or worse. His teacher emailed every day telling me things like he was overly talkative but nothing major or that he was being really silly and needed frequent reminders, but nothing serious.

My question is does any one else use essential oils for themselves and/or their child? Did you get any results from them? How long did you use them for? Are you still using them?

I understand that essential oils can be a very 'no no' conversation so if this discussion violates any rules I understand why it will be deleted or if I'm asked to delete it. However, if allowed, I appreciate all thoughts on them. Thanks.

Izzy, it is fine for people to tell their personal experiences with essential oils, as you have done, but not to suggest that others take them. Basically, Describe, Not Prescribe. I hope this helps.

Thank you. I was hoping I wasn't violating any rules.

Hi Izzy,

Glad things are working out, I wish you continued success. I’m also hopeful that you can get your insurance straightened out, for peace of mind sake.

Sending my best to you and your little one!

SK

Izzy,

Coincidentally, I recently read a slew of white papers on an essential oil called Nigella sativa (black seed). It has been one of the most studied essential oils in the world deriving from Asia and is described and (proven in clinical trials) as an effective therapeutic treatment for many conditions. I am not sure about Adhd. Perhaps that is why Nestle had to debunk that they were not trying to patent black seed itself. Essential oils can be dangerous as well as therapeutic as there isn't really official testing done on many homeopathic remedies as far as pure value of oils and processing. I wasn't surprised to hear that the recent testing on vitamin and mineral supplements from major brand names found evidence that some ingredients listed wasn't even in the product and in other cases they found significant discrepancies in mg dose.

I know this is not directly related to the adhd question in general as a treatment method. I just found it fascinating that this essential oil has been proven by science to be effective as a treatment for many things and know they are studying it for adhd.

Thank you. Yes gotten things straightened out with the insurance. But now that he's been put back on his meds he's become extremely emotional. I may have to continue to use the oils on him. He seemed to good on them.
SK said:

Hi Izzy,

Glad things are working out, I wish you continued success. I'm also hopeful that you can get your insurance straightened out, for peace of mind sake.

Sending my best to you and your little one!

SK

Has your son's doctor given a green light for the oils, Izzy? It is very important to get approval from your son's physician.

Lostgirl,

Yes I see what you are saying. I was very pleased with my son's results from using the oils. It is really neat to read how much the oils are used for. I know they aren't cures for anything, especially ADHD. I don't think ADHD can be cured, but it can be tolerated and a person can get more control over their ADHD with proper therapy and/or medications or any other way they see helpful. I was skeptical about the oils, but now I'm a turned believer in the fact that they most certainly can help ease some behaviors or feelings a person may be having.

Lostgirl said:

Izzy,

Coincidentally, I recently read a slew of white papers on an essential oil called Nigella sativa (black seed). It has been one of the most studied essential oils in the world deriving from Asia and is described and (proven in clinical trials) as an effective therapeutic treatment for many conditions. I am not sure about Adhd. Perhaps that is why Nestle had to debunk that they were not trying to patent black seed itself. Essential oils can be dangerous as well as therapeutic as there isn't really official testing done on many homeopathic remedies as far as pure value of oils and processing. I wasn't surprised to hear that the recent testing on vitamin and mineral supplements from major brand names found evidence that some ingredients listed wasn't even in the product and in other cases they found significant discrepancies in mg dose.

I know this is not directly related to the adhd question in general as a treatment method. I just found it fascinating that this essential oil has been proven by science to be effective as a treatment for many things and know they are studying it for adhd.

Yes and No. Yes from his therapist doctor. No from his pysch doctor. He doesn't see her for a few more weeks. Hard to get into her ... the wait is usually 6-8 weeks. He goes next week and I plan to tell her about the oils. We don't use them every day on him. I don't apply them more the once. I also don't apply them if he's taken his meds. I refuse to do that. That could be too much. She's pretty much been on my side with how to treat his ADHD. I don't for see her having any issues.

dancermom said:

Has your son's doctor given a green light for the oils, Izzy? It is very important to get approval from your son's physician.