Does coffee work for ADHD?

I have two 8 years old boys with ADHD and one time, their pediatrician told me to try to give them coffee or tea before school, but I'm afraid to try that because I don't know if the caffeine will actually work or make them extra hyper.

I have ADHD as well but I got better as an adult. Now, when I drink a strong coffee or coke I get sleepy, but at the same time kind of jumpy.

I have a friend that also has ADHD, now he is a physician and he doesn't believe that kids should be on medications for this condition because he never toke any kind of medication for ADHD and he got also better. He also advice me about the caffeine.

Any advice?

PS: My boys are not medicated.

When my now 14 year old was 5, and we were looking at the possibility of ADHD, her doctor told me to try giving her coffee or tea. If it settled her down, she would likely benefit from stimulant medication for ADHD. She was not interested in trying either one, so we'll never know if it would have worked. She is now on stimulant meds for her ADHD and they work well.

Chocolate has caffeine as well. My 6 yr old has chocolate ovaltine before bedtime and it helps him sleep...

Caffeine won't hurt them, but if you're worried, try it on the weekend so you can see the impact first hand.

3Gkids said:

When my now 14 year old was 5, and we were looking at the possibility of ADHD, her doctor told me to try giving her coffee or tea. If it settled her down, she would likely benefit from stimulant medication for ADHD. She was not interested in trying either one, so we'll never know if it would have worked. She is now on stimulant meds for her ADHD and they work well.

Chocolate has caffeine as well. My 6 yr old has chocolate ovaltine before bedtime and it helps him sleep...

Caffeine won't hurt them, but if you're worried, try it on the weekend so you can see the impact first hand.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH 3Gkids!!

My son was diagnosed in kindergarten. It took that first year to find what medication worked for him. At that time he was in after school care at the YMCA. One of the counselors is ADHD. He told me to try coffee with him. The counselor said he knows a lot teens in high school that were ADHD and drinking coffee, and he himself took himself off his meds, and began drinking coffee. He says it helps. And if you think about it, most ADHD medication are stimulants. So coffee makes sense. My son is 6 now, so I don't give him coffee. But I make ice tea all the time with green tea - and sometimes he drinks that. If they don't like the taste, you can always add some honey. There are many flavors of caffeinated tea, so maybe try different ones. Or mix. Sometimes with him, I put one bag of herbal tea, and one bag of black tea (in a big cup, or my gallon jug), and he likes the flavor.

Hi

My son has been given coffee before school since he was 8. At first it worked so well his grades improved and his handwriting and he got put in a smart class but he has become used to it and it doesnt have the same effect. It still does calm him down though and gives him some focus. However now he is 9 his ADHD is getting intense again and we are now going to trial ritalin. The coffee does work though and is a good alternative to drugs to start.

Good luck

:)

My 11 yr old son drinks coffee every morning and tells me he can tell when he does not have it. He is unable to take any of the meds so this has been a life saver for him some days. I also have a friend whose son has ADHD and she swears by it....that is where I got the idea.

Thanks for all the replies. I will try to give them coffee at home before they start with their homework and let see :-)

I really appreciate your help!!

There is a hot chocolate mix called cogo that has the same amount of caffeine as most coffee. But yes it works. We got delayed on vacation once and ran out of meds. (three days in an airport) Between No-doz and Coffee we survived............... Desperate times call for desperate measures.......

TJ from Moderator Support

My son is 12 has adhd .he rushes so fast in tests and quizes and gets low grade wen he takes retakes he do his best whats the solution i dont want medications for him any help please would be appreciated