Childhood depression / adhd

CHILDHOOD DEPRESSION / ADHD
Our daughter was diagnosed with ADHD 2 years age at the age of 8. Since then we have implimented a 504 Plan & medication, that has helped her to succeed up until now. We recently noticed changes in her mood, emotional swings, anger management issues, lost of interest in things she once enjoyed, bouts of tears and meltdowns. She has gone from loving school to hating it in a span of the 2014/2015 school year. Unfortunately one of her teachers this year has less then suportative. Today our daughters Pediatrician recommended for the 1st time that she needs to be evaluated by a Psychiatrist. He feels that the increased rigor of the new curriculum in the state of California and the unsupportative teacher has brought on a secondary depression & anxiety. We thought maybe it was her adhd medications may just need adjustments, But apparently her new issues have nothing to do with her adhd. But on the other had children with adhd have a tendency to develop & are at a higher risk for depression. We have less then 30 days left in the school year. She will be changing schools next year in order to start Junior High. We want to make sure that this does not happen again but I know that is not realistic. Next year she will have 5 different teachers. I’m afraid she is going to get lost in the shuffle. We’ve talked about possibly putting her in Home Study but that brings on a new set of issues. Has anyone heard of Secondary Depression? Can you have both Inherited Depression & Secondary? Until we see the Psychiatrist what can we do to help & support her? How do we make something good come out if this school year?

My daughter is 7 and going through similar things. I don’t have any advice I’m sorry but I can tell you your not alone and it is heart breaking to watch our children go through hard times. From a mother feeling the same :frowning:

We have been through this as well. My son suffered from depression before his ADHD was diagnosed because he was constantly being reprimanded at school in front of peers and getting in trouble at home as well. This was in kindergarten and led us to seek psychiatric help, which also led to the ADHD diagnosis. We treated the depression first with therapy and then when he was in a better place with his depression we started medication for the ADHD and continued therapy. We did initially see the depression symptoms get worse with the medication; however, we worked with the psychiatrist to change medications, doses, combinations of meds, etc to get the right balance that helps with the ADHD but doesn't induce the mood swings and emotional outbursts. It took us 5 years to get the "right" balance but it was worth it to see improvement. He'll be in 6th grade next year and I also worry about switching schools and having multiple teachers to deal with but I feel we have a good support system in place to help us be proactive with his health.

I don't know the answers to your questions about Inherited Depression and Secondary Depression, but I know that what works with my son is to not over-react to the emotional mood swings, and not pushing him to feel better if he is in a dark mood. When he is in a happy mood, I try to really connect and take advantage of those good days.

Hang in there...you're doing great!

I don’t know about secondary depression or what it is but In my case I have always struggled with depression and anxiety with my adhd and I’m now 26 years old, it’s a never ending battle my whole life up and until a month ago I decided to take the next step to start trying meds to get my life on track. My mom wasn’t a believer of medication and we tried natural routes but it was always an uphill battle. I’m at the end of my rope so I’m trying to find something to balance myself. Concerta is not working for me though I’m trying something new. Just be as supportive as you can towards your daughter and help her get through it. ADHD anxiety and depression are all close knit. I hope she feels better. Maybe you should look into a different med? I’m still learning how to cope myself.

Seeing a psychiatrist with experience with children and adolescents is a good idea because the depression may need to be treated. The pediatrician may have meant that her depression could be related to her own struggle in school in an unsupportive environment, but the psychiatrist can advise you here. Maybe it is primary depression and that's what the psychiatrist will help you determine. Some people get depression and it can be hereditary or just happen.

A smooth transition is best for next year. If your child has never been evaluated for learning disabilites or school performance related issues, you might ask the psychiatrist about evaluation by a neuropsychologist. School psychologists give evaluations, too. If you think your daughter may need any extra supports next year, that will document her needs. There are other options for schooling, too, but after the depression is addressed and you have more info.

I love the responses from others because compassion and love are evident in their experiences with their own children and these renew my hope!, even tho my kids are grown. Nobody outgrows the need for love and support. This year anything your daughter finds enjoyable in school is great, while in her out of school time you can be present with her whatever she's feeling. Getting outdoors is great, too. Let us know how you're doing :)

ArtFish- I was fairly relieved our Pediatrician had a list of trusted Psychiatrists that specialize in children with ADHD, deres sion & anxiety. Hopefully we’ll get into see one of them soon. Thank you so much for the awesome advise. I was so overwhelmed yesterday. My hubby was so angry at the teacher & school, that they were possibly behind the cause of pushing his baby girl over the edge. I had to calm him down, not that I wasn’t upset either. I was just sad that we did not catch it earlier.

ArtFish said:

Seeing a psychiatrist with experience with children and adolescents is a good idea because the depression may need to be treated. The pediatrician may have meant that her depression could be related to her own struggle in school in an unsupportive environment, but the psychiatrist can advise you here. Maybe it is primary depression and that’s what the psychiatrist will help you determine. Some people get depression and it can be hereditary or just happen.

A smooth transition is best for next year. If your child has never been evaluated for learning disabilites or school performance related issues, you might ask the psychiatrist about evaluation by a neuropsychologist. School psychologists give evaluations, too. If you think your daughter may need any extra supports next year, that will document her needs. There are other options for schooling, too, but after the depression is addressed and you have more info.

I love the responses from others because compassion and love are evident in their experiences with their own children and these renew my hope!, even tho my kids are grown. Nobody outgrows the need for love and support. This year anything your daughter finds enjoyable in school is great, while in her out of school time you can be present with her whatever she’s feeling. Getting outdoors is great, too. Let us know how you’re doing :slight_smile:

kagordon- Thank for the advise about not over reacting.

kagordon said:

We have been through this as well. My son suffered from depression before his ADHD was diagnosed because he was constantly being reprimanded at school in front of peers and getting in trouble at home as well. This was in kindergarten and led us to seek psychiatric help, which also led to the ADHD diagnosis. We treated the depression first with therapy and then when he was in a better place with his depression we started medication for the ADHD and continued therapy. We did initially see the depression symptoms get worse with the medication; however, we worked with the psychiatrist to change medications, doses, combinations of meds, etc to get the right balance that helps with the ADHD but doesn't induce the mood swings and emotional outbursts. It took us 5 years to get the "right" balance but it was worth it to see improvement. He'll be in 6th grade next year and I also worry about switching schools and having multiple teachers to deal with but I feel we have a good support system in place to help us be proactive with his health.

I don't know the answers to your questions about Inherited Depression and Secondary Depression, but I know that what works with my son is to not over-react to the emotional mood swings, and not pushing him to feel better if he is in a dark mood. When he is in a happy mood, I try to really connect and take advantage of those good days.

Hang in there...you're doing great!

Cyn- It was a struggle to decide whether or not to use medications. In the end we realized if our daughter had diabetes or another disease that meant her life we would make sure she had the tools to have a quality life. We just hope our decision(s) this far are the right tool(s) to help her.

Cyn said:
I don't know about secondary depression or what it is but In my case I have always struggled with depression and anxiety with my adhd and I'm now 26 years old, it's a never ending battle my whole life up and until a month ago I decided to take the next step to start trying meds to get my life on track. My mom wasn't a believer of medication and we tried natural routes but it was always an uphill battle. I'm at the end of my rope so I'm trying to find something to balance myself. Concerta is not working for me though I'm trying something new. Just be as supportive as you can towards your daughter and help her get through it. ADHD anxiety and depression are all close knit. I hope she feels better. Maybe you should look into a different med? I'm still learning how to cope myself.

Lesley- Thank for your kind & compassionate words of encouragement!

Lesley said:
My daughter is 7 and going through similar things. I don't have any advice I'm sorry but I can tell you your not alone and it is heart breaking to watch our children go through hard times. From a mother feeling the same :(