Best Schooling for ADHD in USA

Ben/Friends,

I am interested to know which is the best or the top 10 schools in USA for ADHD kids. I am asking this question as i am in India and i plan to move to USA for work purpose for a time frame of about 5-8 years, i have a kid of 7.5 yrs old who has ADHD, if i want to relocate with my family i want to know which school in USA is good/best for ADHD kids which support these kind of children.

Regards

Bharath

The US is a big country, Bharath. I have experience with the Montgomery County school system in Maryland and with Hillsborough County in Florida. Montgomery County was not at all ADHD friendly. There were several very expensive private schools in the area for ADHD students, such as the Lab School, the Barrie School, the Nora School, and a school in McLean, VA whose name escapes me.

Florida, fortunately, has a much more flexible public system than Maryland. You can do any mix of live and online classes that suits your child. My son is currently taking two AP classes and science at a public high school, while taking three online classes at home. He is done with bricks and mortar school by 10:30 each day. We love the flexibility.

So, if you are looking for a public school system, look for one that offers many options, including early graduation. Picking a state that is homeschool friendly is also a good idea.

This article is compelling: www.psychology.com/blog/freedom-learn/201009/experiences-adhd-labeled-kids-who-switch-conventional-schooling-homeschool

It suggests that conventional schooling is what needs to change, not the children.

Thanks for your suggestion, i am still not familiar with the schooling system in US as in India we have a system wherein schooling starts with Nursery at age of 4, then LKG (LOWER KINDER GARDEN), UKG (UPPER KINDER GARDEN), 1ST STANDARD, 2ND STANDARD and so on till 10th (if state syllabus) or 12th (if central syllabus), then college starts and you can choose your stream of interest like commerce, science, arts. and their after graduation and then masters if interested. Can you explain the schooling system of us and which suits best for ADHD kids.

My kid's is moderate and he understands and relates and works fine with every thing, mortar or other physical needs all are done by him, he is just impulsive, has behavioral issue and cannot stay silent or sit quitely for even 1 minute, this is the only issue with him rest all is fine

dancermom said:

The US is a big country, Bharath. I have experience with the Montgomery County school system in Maryland and with Hillsborough County in Florida. Montgomery County was not at all ADHD friendly. There were several very expensive private schools in the area for ADHD students, such as the Lab School, the Barrie School, the Nora School, and a school in McLean, VA whose name escapes me.

Florida, fortunately, has a much more flexible public system than Maryland. You can do any mix of live and online classes that suits your child. My son is currently taking two AP classes and science at a public high school, while taking three online classes at home. He is done with bricks and mortar school by 10:30 each day. We love the flexibility.

So, if you are looking for a public school system, look for one that offers many options, including early graduation. Picking a state that is homeschool friendly is also a good idea.

US school systems are Kindergarten through twelfth grade. Elementary school is kindergarten at age 5 through fifth grade at age 10. Middle school is roughly ages 11 - 13 and grades 6 - 8. High school is ages 14-18 and grades 9 - 12.

How old is your son? My son had a lot of trouble sitting still in elementary school. He now dances six hours a day and will probably be a professional dancer. He has no academic issues. I do not consider him ADHD and never did despite a diagnosis. I believe school does not take into account normal development for boys. It is natural for boys to want to move. Similar to the article, it may be that the school system is wrong for your child, rather than your child having a true disorder. Most of the boys in my son’s dance program were at one time diagnosed with ADHD. The reality is they were just dancers.

I would also advise limiting sugar, limiting time spent with digital media, and as much time outdoors as possible.

Here is an alternative view. Google “ADHD Goes to School” by Mark Bertin. Sorry, my IPAD isn’t letting me post the link.

this link does not exist.

dancermom said:

This article is compelling: www.psychology.com/blog/freedom-learn/201009/experiences-adhd-label...

It suggests that conventional schooling is what needs to change, not the children.

My son is 7.5 years old and he also goes to dancing class every weekend as during the week he goes to school and by the time he returns from school he is tired. Sugar intake is totally limited (no soft drinks, no candies, no junk food), outdoor activity is something which i am working on now, in summer camp i had put him in skating classes in which he is now very good. We did have more thank 2.5 years of therapies for him ranging from Occupational, speech, group sessions. He still needs speech therapy but will get it done later.

Regarding schooling i have gone through the basic structure and working of school in US. Let me study more and see what comes up.

Thanks for your suggestions

dancermom said:

US school systems are Kindergarten through twelfth grade. Elementary school is kindergarten at age 5 through fifth grade at age 10. Middle school is roughly ages 11 - 13 and grades 6 - 8. High school is ages 14-18 and grades 9 - 12.

How old is your son? My son had a lot of trouble sitting still in elementary school. He now dances six hours a day and will probably be a professional dancer. He has no academic issues. I do not consider him ADHD and never did despite a diagnosis. I believe school does not take into account normal development for boys. It is natural for boys to want to move. Similar to the article, it may be that the school system is wrong for your child, rather than your child having a true disorder. Most of the boys in my son's dance program were at one time diagnosed with ADHD. The reality is they were just dancers.

Sorry, the full Link didn’t make it into the Comment. As I said I cannot work on my normal computer just now. Google Experiences of ADHD labeled kids who switch from conventional schooling to homeschooling or unschooling By Peter Gray.

Hi Bharat,
Have you relocated to us or still in the process? I have a son who is going to be 6 in April who has language delay issues.even we are planning to relocating to us in may.
Please let me know what is happening with your sons schooling…it ll be very helpful for me if you share.
Thanks u.