ADHD and Computer Programming

Hello everyone! Thought I would check in since it's been a while. I was diagnosed with ADHD Combined-Type a few years back. It was a relief really because now I at least know what has been going on all these years. It was no big shock though I suspected I had it based on my symptoms. My Psych told me that it is severe. The sustained attention is really bad and it's impaired. I really don't think medication is an option since I'm asthmatic and have restricted lung disease. My question is if I would ever be able to study Computer Programming and without medication would I be able to succeed. I've always been interested in it. What are your thoughts?

Hi,

Has your Psych told you that you cant take medication? I would investigate this in more detail. I think computer programming is an exccellent option because you have an interest in it.

I agree with Brad, if you find it interesting you could probably focus on it for that very reason. I am in accounting and I love it because it's like doing puzzles all day (well, except for the boring data entry stuff, then I zone out). But I love accounting for that reason, so I say go for it. But I'd definitely get clarification on the many options for treatment. My sister takes an antidepressant that helps with her focus, forget which one.

Cheers!

Amy

The last time I saw a psych they wanted me to sign a paper that they're not responsible if I get adverse reactions. This is because I've had bad reactions to psych meds in the past. In 1998 I had a bad reaction on my liver and ended up being really sick for 2 years. I'm a really allergic/sensitive person and maybe thats why. I don't also want to be on stimulants either because I also suffer from agoraphobia/panic disorder. I've been battling with panic attacks for some time but it's been worse in the last 5 years or so. I did check online and found out that I can take classes online. For programming they recommend that you are up to pre-calculus with the math. This will be a big challenge with my adhd since it's severe but I'm willing to try. The highest I have gotten in the past with math is intermediate algebra. So I've got a ways to go but I can learn online for free on that and I found a site that has free beginning programming. I'm willing to give it a shot and see how I do.

Brad said:

Hi,

Has your Psych told you that you cant take medication? I would investigate this in more detail. I think computer programming is an exccellent option because you have an interest in it.

Thanks for your reply! I do notice that if I'm interested in something I get hyperfocused. For example I can stay on the computer all day lol. I try to read as much as possible from the internet even though I never fully get everything absorbed. I seem to get bits and pieces of info. I think if I try and learn on my own online it's better cause I can go at my own pace.
HopefulMom said:

I agree with Brad, if you find it interesting you could probably focus on it for that very reason. I am in accounting and I love it because it's like doing puzzles all day (well, except for the boring data entry stuff, then I zone out). But I love accounting for that reason, so I say go for it. But I'd definitely get clarification on the many options for treatment. My sister takes an antidepressant that helps with her focus, forget which one.

Cheers!

Amy

You might try thinkwell, Jazzy, an online math curriculum which is video based and fairly engaging. You can go at your own pace, too.

Jazzie said:

The last time I saw a psych they wanted me to sign a paper that they're not responsible if I get adverse reactions. This is because I've had bad reactions to psych meds in the past. In 1998 I had a bad reaction on my liver and ended up being really sick for 2 years. I'm a really allergic/sensitive person and maybe thats why. I don't also want to be on stimulants either because I also suffer from agoraphobia/panic disorder. I've been battling with panic attacks for some time but it's been worse in the last 5 years or so. I did check online and found out that I can take classes online. For programming they recommend that you are up to pre-calculus with the math. This will be a big challenge with my adhd since it's severe but I'm willing to try. The highest I have gotten in the past with math is intermediate algebra. So I've got a ways to go but I can learn online for free on that and I found a site that has free beginning programming. I'm willing to give it a shot and see how I do.

Brad said:

Hi,