Increase in adult ADD

I’ve had ADD all my life.In my adult life it seems to have gotten worse.I don’t know if its because I’ve had 3 cesareans or because I’m now diagnosed with diabetes. I also had major surgery two Years ago.I had a pancreatic mass (which turned out to be benign) PRAISE GOd! but resulted in removing half my pancreas and a 7 hour surgery that should’ve been 3 but they cut a main artery. Resulting in having to have a major blood transfusion. And ever since then I ve never really bounced back.Physically or emotional. As a result I feel my ADD has quadrupled in severity. My question is does any think these situations played a factor or was it just inabtiabl for it to increase?

Hi Meredith, I too have ADD and six years ago had breast cancer. I had 9 hours of surgery within 18 hours--I had a post op bleed and nearly died. I initally recovered pretty well, but a few months later crashed emotionally and physically. I was diagnosed with PTSD--it was a traumatic event. Somedays I felt like I was absolutely crazy--I couldn't even balance my checkbook. It sounds like you had a traumatic event as well. I found help through counseling, anti-anxiety meds, massage, and accupuncture. It took awhile, but I finally found a new normal. While I, of course, still have ADD it's now just the normal stuff--losing everything and general confusion :) Based on my own experience I would strongly suggest getting help--I tried for too long to gut it out, but it only got worse until I got proactive.

Good luck to you.

While I don't have ADD, I have lived with it all my life and done extensive research for my mom, brother, and son. I know that several things can mimic ADD symptoms. Depression, anxiety, food allergies, hormones etc, can all manifest ADD symptoms which is why it is so hard sometimes to know if it really is ADD or something else. My son displays severe OCD symptoms when his seasonal allergies are bad and they go away with an antihistamine (which several doctors have observed and no doctor yet has been able to explain). Have you tried counseling? It sounds to me like you are dealing with some serious issues which would cause depression in even the strongest of us!

In my family, I have not observed ADD/ADHD "getting worse", just a tolerance for the meds requiring higher doses (my medicated son) or stress derailing coping mechanisms (my unmedicated brother)...

I hope you can figure out what is going on!

Hang in there!!!

Hi Meredith~I agree with the others on getting some additional help. I think it's hard to say for sure, but it would make sense that after having gone through a traumatic event in addition to physiological changes due to surgery that rather than the ADD actually being worse, the added stressors have placed a heavy load on top of the ADD that may need to be treated as a separate issue. I would definitely seek some professional help with this. Let us know how you're doing.

Hi Meredith,

In my personal experience, I can say that any time I have experienced times of particularly heavy amounts of stress or trauma, my ADHD symptoms have typically been amplified. So, I don't think that you should feel alone or lost in the least bit. Stress and depression absolutely aggravate symptoms in my opinion and it sounds like you have had plenty.

If you are noticing that you are having a particularly difficult time, I would highly recommend speaking to your doctor and letting them know, especially when you have gone through some pretty serious surgery's.

The good news and the first thing that you should do is breathe a big sigh of relief and take some solace about in that it sounds like those surgeries went well. Even better, as you said was that the mass was benign. So, a double sigh of relief there, too. Two stress points already down...we're making progress :)

Definitely speak to your doctor and in the meantime, try to practice some simple methods at home to help reduce some of the stress that it sounds like you are experiencing. Whether it's some light meditation, reading, listening to music. Whatever relaxes you and reduces your stress is only going to ease the burden of those symptoms, even if just a little bit.

I never thought I would be someone that would advocate meditation, but now, I can't go a day without it. I do 10-15 minutes a day in a quiet room and that reduction in stress, seems to help me also reduce the level of ADHD symptoms a bit, too. I actually found a free program online by chance and now, I use it every day and I am literally the last person in the world who ever thought they would be meditating. It's not a cure or anything of that nature, but stress is the number 1 enemy of otherwise healthy people worldwide. Physical and emotional stress can aggravate many symptoms and in my experience, it has included ADHD symptoms. But the bottom line is that for people with or without disorders like, ADHD, stress causes health problems and can certainly aggravate various mental disorders.

I can't imagine that everything you have been through has not carried plenty of stress with it. I am so glad to hear that you have made it through so well and you should be very proud of that!

So, make an appointment and tell your doctor what's going on and as simple as it sounds, take a little time to yourself at home to just relax and not really think or worry about anything :)

All the best to you!

Howie

I seeked counseling before with my 12 year old daughter (now 14 about to be 15 in June) but we both agreed that we got nothing out of it.This counsler just "uh ah end and “Oh miah” the whole 2 sessions we went.All though I do agree counseling would help but that first try at it gave me a bad feeling. I also lost my Mother on November 12,2012.To most that seems 2 almost 3 years is adequate time for grieving BUT not me.I’m 38 now and before she died I hadn’t gone more then 24 hours without talking to her. She was my best friend!I got married and moved out briefly for 2 years ,but even then I called her every day and came home every weekend. When I had my first child in “2000” I moved back home.She died of diebties. A long slow death.And I took care of her the whole way.So losing her is still a issue and probably will be for some time.

I am very sorry to hear about your loss, Meredith. I too have had some tragedy I have been struggling with over the past few months. I lost my 43 year old brother-in-law to brain cancer, two very close family friends, as well and just last month, my best friend in the world, my dog, Vinny.

To be honest, it through my ADHD in a whirlwind for a little while. It's easy to let our minds wander and get lost in the negative and lose focus on the things that we need to be doing to effectively manage our symptoms. However, you take a deep breath, you take a step back and you tackle it the way your loved ones would want you to do and the way those that count on you and rely on you, need you to do.

We are here for you and I wish you nothing but the best. Time will help heal and having a support network around you, certainly doesn't hurt either. Stay strong and be well!

Howie

Meredith said:

I seeked counseling before with my 12 year old daughter (now 14 about to be 15 in June) but we both agreed that we got nothing out of it.This counsler just "uh ah end and "Oh miah" the whole 2 sessions we went.All though I do agree counseling would help but that first try at it gave me a bad feeling. I also lost my Mother on November 12,2012.To most that seems 2 almost 3 years is adequate time for grieving BUT not me.I'm 38 now and before she died I hadn't gone more then 24 hours without talking to her. She was my best friend!I got married and moved out briefly for 2 years ,but even then I called her every day and came home every weekend. When I had my first child in "2000" I moved back home.She died of diebties. A long slow death.And I took care of her the whole way.So losing her is still a issue and probably will be for some time.