55 and still fighting the good fight

Hi there. This is my first post. Let's see if I can keep this organized for my own sake. Here is a little bit about me. I was Diagnosed August of 2014 at age 54. Please commiserate, comment &/or share.

ORGANIZATION
I feel frustrated and wish I could get a handle on things. I have had improvements in my life over the last several years but my disorganization is disheartening. I have been trying to implement GTD (Getting Things Done by David Allen) for at least 3 years now. I am now to the point at work where I have everything I need to do on a Master List but I don't even want to look at the list (I am pathetic). I have also hired a Professional organizational coach that works with ADHD. I worked with her 3 times and it really made a difference. I am going to work with her again this month because heaven knows I need help. I have also started using the 30 Day Push by Chalene Johnson. That has really made a difference too even though I haven't gotten past the third lesson yet. But as I sit here and watch my piles grown I am upset and overwhelmed. I have the master list thing going here at home to but I haven't looked at it for 3 or 4 weeks now. (ADHD is so good for consistency)

WORK
I also feel like a cheat at work because I watch everyone else working so hard and me trying to find ways to avoid doing my job. It is a blessing from God that I have been here for 8 years this month. The longest job I have ever held in my life. But at 55 years old with no retirement in the bank I feel like a looser. I long for the days when I worked as a temp and could take a break whenever to clean up my piles and reset myself.

MEDICATION
I have played a little bit with medication this past year but I am afraid to commit to taking it regularly. I took my first pill of 40mg of Vyvance yesterday at 9:45am. I had just a little temple headache in the afternoon. The stuff peaks after 3 hours and then only lasts a couple of hours. Today for a short time I did have a quick but good headache. I might just keep taking the pills to see how it goes. I am Keeping a log and have an appointment with my doctor in 2 or 3 weeks.

I could go on but I'll stop here. I am supposed to be working right now, and I have some laundry getting wrinkled in the dryer.

Hi Tree! The med log will make it easier for your doctor to discuss your medication options. Doctors, especially those with many ADD/ADHD patients, can generalize based on their patient's personal experiences and their medical expertise.There's probably a choice that won't include headaches.:) You may find that, after being on a med for awhile, you'll get revealing information when you don't take it. I don't know which medicines need to build up in your bloodstream and which ones clear out quickly, daily. I think it's good practice to keep your doctor informed of changes so you're making decisions with all the info.

I was diagnosed in my 40's. I've learned that distractions and tangents are fun but that I can't possibly assign them even a medium priority because I won't remember at that time that there are crucial things I really do want to attend to.

What do you like about doing any kind of work? Are you a perfectionist in a way that helps on the job? Are you fast? A problem-solver? What does your employer rely on you to do?

I know that I like to do a good job, and that becoming overloaded can be overwhelming. A friend has asked me to help at her office. I'm excited and very focused now. Sometimes I can't stay that way but I like the work so the odds are better that I'll find a way to succeed.